Ready to Lose Your Glasses? Ten tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medication. Never ever before have a lot of scientific breakthroughs and new techniques emerged in such a brief time period. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides millions of people the opportunity to decrease or eliminate their need for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio advertisements are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the quick and pain-free way to remedy vision, however stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Before you opt to go under the beam, what can you do to assist make sure that you will be delighted with your outcomes?
The crucial to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an informed client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting referrals from other medical professionals or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be tricked by fancy ads about a particular laser. Select the physician, not the laser center. Discover who will really do your treatment, then inquire about that physician's credentials (e.g., board certification, special training).
3. Pick a physician who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a doctor does not understand can harm you.
Ask for details on your physician's LASIK eye surgical treatment problem rates. If your medical professional won't tell you, discover another one.
5. Ask what measures are required to prevent infection. Search for a center with a sterile or dust-free operating room. Make certain that disposable parts are not recycled. Insist that your eye is completely sterilized, and insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected before your eye laser surgery to eliminate the risk of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Beware of ads pressing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgical treatment is as great as a discount parachute. The potential cost savings are unworthy the threat of receiving less than expert care!
Expect to see really well after LASIK, but don't anticipate to see perfectly. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as individual as each client. Beware of any medical professional who assures 20/20 vision.
8. If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you most likely are. Go somewhere else. You're not buying a car; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. Implantable lenses will probably offer much better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Think about waiting until the new lenses useful reference are offered. Ask your doctor about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, don't forget the advantages: for the majority of people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually enhanced the eyesight of millions of individuals worldwide.